Menu
Food Safety Training, Auditing & Management
Food Safety Training, Auditing & Management

Inquest into student’s death heard staff were ‘not trained’ about allergens

An inquest hearing into the death of a Manchester teenager has heard that the staff member who took the student’s order “didn’t think he had been trained about allergens.”

The student had allergies to milk, nuts and shellfish, and died after eating a chicken burger at a burger bar in Manchester in January 2015. The staff member who took her order, told police that he asked the head chef for advice about the customer’s allergies.

The head chef said she shouldn’t have the famous sauce or coleslaw. The jury heard that the member of staff only discovered later that the chicken was marinated in buttermilk, which the student had an allergy to. The jury was told that the staff trainer was also. not aware of the marination. The procedure was to show customers who enquired about allergies to show them a book detailing the allergens in the menu.

On this occasion the customer wasn't shown the book despite the staff member attending a staff meeting where the book was shown. Evidence given by a specialist EHO indicated that the allergy book was incomplete and contained errors.

The inquest continues

 

< Go Back

Contact Us

01543 732045

Accreditations

Sign up to our Newsletter